Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chandigarh Diary - II

5th feb, 2008:
Java daves:

I sit alone. Waiting. Remembering one of those essays one always wrote in primary school.

An hour at…..wherever, railway station, bus sand, temple, bakery shop, or as in my case currently, a coffee shop. Fifteen years back, it would have been unheard of, and hence an essay on the same would have been looked at by grave disdain.

Today it is an hour, and probably more, of this coffee house. Goes by the name of Java Daves. Wonder how does one pronounce ‘Dave’? The Maharashtrian would go “Daa-way”. Just remembered, had a friend by this name.

Will order for a coffee if they ask me to. If they further probe, I shall beg them to accommodate me. Need to spend the next three hours someplace. And there are only two coffee shops/restaurants here. In this area.

And there is darkness. And loads and loads of cold. Not inside the shop, here it is nice and warm. Smells of mild coffee, with some English numbers playing in the background. A little loud probably. Probably it is only me.

Why I am alone here is a long story, but as I see it, this would probably repeat one more time this trip. So, this is something of a warm up for me. Wonder how does one warm up in this cold. It wouldn’t be more than 2 degrees celcius. Paradoxical.

Ordered for one hot cuppa ‘Java Cocachinno’. Got only a so much in my wallet, and no withdrawal service anywhere near as well. Nothing to eat now. That would be for the next shop. Remember it is only a third of the total time gone off the total, I need to while away.

The coffee is wonderful. Serious. Like the tray cover sheet as well. One of the things it says is “yelling for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days produces enough energy to heat one cup of coffee.” Rather novel way of doing the same. Probably it is before the times where they spoke of Quality Customer Service and Customer Delight been of utmost importance. People like Kotler that is. Also remembered a case study in the trimester on Starbucks Coffee that we just finished. Nothing worth mentioning.

The lady at the counter – there were two of them – smiled at me. Probably she realizes the predicament I am in. probably that’s what her trainings have taught her, smile at every customer irrespective. The other one is too busy acting busy to notice anything. She has been on a call for a long time.

Alrite, the rest of the customers have just walked out. I am alone, again.

There is a staircase that leads someplace. Inside the coffee shop that is. It says, ‘Mind your head’. Always thought that mind and head are somewhat related. It just got proved. Feel like exploring, but that would mean leaving the laptop unguarded. A risk not worth taking. I can do without curiosity killing the cat. Though I also know for a fact, that a cat has nine lives, so it shouldn’t matter in losing one. For the sake of curiosity that is. Maybe I am just rambling.

The one on the phone now looks a little worried. She’s talking to two of the guys who just walked in. She seems to be tensed about the leaks in the piping. Probably, that may affect her customer base. Probably she is referring to her house and not shop. Don’t quite gather, her accent’s too quick to comprehend. Just like many of the others I have encountered so far in this city, since the time I have landed here. Around 7 hours that is.

Coffee done. The sugar sachet is next. Double refined it says. Frankly, I want to check out on what does that mean. Had read this someplace else as well and failed to ‘google’ it. Have invested 4k on sugar stocks and don’t know much about it. Except that I have a sweet tooth. Never mind. Irrelevant. I am off to my next destination.

They call it ‘Bakes and Beans’. Sounds tempting. I am hungry all of a sudden.

5th Feb, 2008: Bakes and Beans
Again, alone. Its almost next door to the Java Dave place. The name just reminds me of one thing. Shane Warne’s trip to India when he refused to eat the Indian food, and just had cans of Baked Beans with him. Wonder how his room mate still managed to stay with him. With all that fragrance. (was this the perfume ball he was referring to?)

Anyways, need to order for something. Don’t think my laptop would last too much now, another 5 minutes or so, before it goes dead. Shall order once that happens. The couple behind me is talking about Percept. A media house. And how Percept is related to some of the Bollywood movies. Or something on those lines. Eavesdropping I am. But cannot help it, have got nothing better to do. They are now discussing about some of the Bollywood stars’ unprofessional behaviour. Named a lot of them. Don’t think any of it is news for me. More than 90 minutes still left.

The ambience inside looks more of a combination of a coffee shop – more like a Barista or CCD – and a shop like Oven Fresh, closer home. But it serves a lot more; probably I would end up dining here. Anyways, the only other option I would have is to go hungry. Just hope they accept plastic. Terribly short on cash. Why did I buy that dratted deo. 150 bucks down the drain and it sprays all around. No kidding, 360 degree spray it is, probably leaks. God knows.

The warm inside is very surreal, and it is a HUGE calm before the storm. Would need to bike back a distance of 20 minutes – we Mumbaikars talk time, not distance – in a chilling temperature. And to put this in the right perspective, it would be as good as opting for an Air Conditioner room, in a hotel, with the blower full on, when the outside temperature is 0 degree celcius. Or as bad.

These guys are playing some nice numbers. Enigma just happened. Don’t know the present one. Its more of a psychedelic types, only wish the atmosphere was somewhat more like one. Anyways.

Order time now. Laptop also needs to rest. The couple behind are on a nostalgia trip now. the theme is Bollywood again though. More specifically who’s slept with whose dog. Or some other such objects. Startling revelations. Wonder whether it is really true.

Shall be back soon.

No comments: