Saturday, January 12, 2008

Idea Time!

Yesterday I realised what joy and ecstasy, Archimedes would have gone through, when he cried out his now-famous word 'Eureka', after he had found the solution to his problem...incidentally while he was undergoing his madatory redezvous with his hamam. And that is because, yesterday, I think I found a theoretical solution to a long standing problem.

It would be sometime before I am able to apply the theory to practice, but it gave me an almost Archimedes like joy, when the same struck. Difference was that I did not scream, nor did I run nude, and nor was I bathing.

Instead I was in that stage, when one is in the bed, not quite asleep, but a minute or so before losing consciousness and entering the 'other world'.

And now as I think back, I think I have the reason to shout out 'Eureka' for another reason. It seems that I also found my best time of the day, the time when I get unusual, but effective ideas to see through an issue, or add value to an already existing deal. As I said, this is not the first time it has happened.

The only unfortunate part in this is, that those 30-60 seconds before I completely doze off, is too short a time, to dvelop the idea totally, and to add to it, there is a huge scope for the idea to pass through the brain without registering. Thus I run the risk of losing it, the idea that is.

Anyone else who has experienced such a weird time - I have heard of toilet seats, outstation trains etc earlier - could do well to share the same!

I think it was Dr. Manmohan Singh who had once remarked that, quoted Victor Hugo, "No power on earth can stop an idea whose time has come." I don't really know whether it applies to such times as well, sixty seconds before one dozes off!

No comments: