Saturday, April 28, 2007

"I wanna quit on a Monday Morning"

"At least I had the opportunity to say goodbye"

Another farewell, another man forced to resign. Brian Charles Lara's words may sound a bit cynical, but then, that is the fact of life. You may be the best around, the best employee, the best cricketer, or indeed the best person, once the "bosses" decide you got to go, then you really got to go.

Someone, someone certainly not my boss, decided to let me go. And the immediate pain I felt. Years have rolled by since. The pain of that 'decison' has almost come to nothing. But, I wasnt allowed a goodbye. The 'Someone' just walked out. No final talks. 'Someone' did not believe in 'em. No final convincings, did not want to get convinced, and certainly no Goodbyes. Goodbyes hurt.

Sometimes, I wonder. What hurts people more? What hurt me more? The fact that their "Someones" moved on. Or is it, that they could not end the partnernship on their own terms. What hurt me then? Probably both.

Another incident at the first job. My first job. I could see the axe coming. Figuratively, that is. Difficult to sack someone, who's doing alrite, but, the perks, the promotions and the increments, just disappeared. And that is when, you know. Time to move on. You may feel hard done. You may feel you do not deserve it. But, that is the end of that.

Lara's was a similar case. He knew that sooner or later, he needed to move on. Given the performance of the Team and the rumblings by the Top Management, he decided that it would be sooner than later. It would be on his terms, unlike some of his predecessors. He did not want to give the selectors the pleasure of announcing a Team without him. I did not as well. So, I resigned.

Who doesn't wanna "Quit on a Monday Morning"?

No comments: