Sunday, April 15, 2007

Learnings from MBA - End of Year 1

The Countdown’s begun! Just another few days and I would be half way through being an M of BA (M in BA?!). So what did I learn in the past one year? Hmmmm….lemme think. Thinking……Still thinking…..
…….
…..

Yeahhhhhh, I learnt how to look at Balance Sheets. Or did I? No wait. Let me try another one in that case….
……..
……
….
Alrite, I did manage to understand what a Normal Curve looks like. It looks like what I used draw as a Mountain in my Pre-Primary Drawing “Period”. I also learnt that Mahindra sells an average of around 40000 Scorpios per month. Or was it 4000? One of them, can’t recollect which one. I also learnt that the History of Internet was very closely related to the History of the World Wars. This falls in my “Ripley’s Believe it or not” section. History of Internet related to the History of World War. Moral that I learnt was, had there been no World War, there would not have been any Internet, I would not be writing this. Thank You Adolf.

Lemme dig further into the deep recesses of my brains. Aaah, wait, I remember. I learnt that Johnson is not only a leading Pharma. Co., but also the name of a Leading Tile Making Corporation in India, and learnt the process by which the tiles@Johnson’s are actually fit on the floor without the loss of any cement and with no breakages whatsoever. Profound, ain’t it? I learnt who Gattoo was. I also learnt who Dazzler and Mello were. I also learnt what the true meaning of I-See-I-See-I is. (after that I realized why I make no profits in my ICICI demat account !). I learnt that some elderly people crack worse jokes than me. Much worse. And unlike me, expect the others to laugh as well. I learnt to laugh at such jokes.

I learnt that MacDonald’s replaces Chicken Burgers with Free Veg. Burgers, if they make mistakes. Also, if the victim is a kid, they give them MacToys with the burger. I learnt that it is much more difficult to make Wine than to make Cheese in some places. Also, it is much more difficult to make Cheese than to make Wine in some other places. Same holds true for Roses and Computers. Did not learn about other products.

I learnt that its useless trying to “humor” people with the meaning of my name. Especially professors. I learnt that Pink Slips are not always a bad thing. I learnt the Expression, “Bloody Bull”. I learnt the Importance of “How to Copy and Paste, without using any Adhesive”. I learnt to Gas without overeating. I learnt who Graag was. I learnt that Modigliani was not a Sindhi, but an Italian. (Another Ripley’s Believe it or not!).

I also learnt that watching an Ireland-Bangladesh World Cup match is far more interesting than studying for Corporate Strategy. So is listening to Bhooley-Bisre Geet on Aakaashwaani. Or watching Doordarshan on a Saturday Night.
Actually, doing anything is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trust me- you'll be equally clueless post year 2 as well. The question then will be 'Why on earth do they pay MBA's so much?'

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the article a lot.. any MBAite would relate to it :)