Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Perceived Purpose

Must really thank Orkut. In times of utter dismay and despair, Orkut has provided me a reunion with some of those old friends, with whom, I could talk about some of those good ol’ times. School and Junior College Times. And that’s another advantage of chatting/orkutting, no-one ever realizes you not feeling too good.

Anyways, just recently, I had a nice, long conversation with an old friend of mine. We were in the same School and Junior College, and she’s currently not in Mumbai. After the pleasantries had been exchanged, she asked me about my Blog. Updates n all. Tol’ her.

Her: So, Suneer, you seem to write alrite.
Me: Thanks buddy !
Her: Temme something, whats your Purpose in Life?
Me: Huh?

I was taken aback. Where did this come from? For the first time, I wished this was an MBA Interview, it suddenly seems to much easier answering this question there.

I thought. And, I replied very honestly. To do things that make me Happy.
She asked me again. And what about others? Don’t you want to make them happy as well?

I thought again. Now, there’s a difference between wanting to see others happy and making others happy. I certainly want people around me to be happy, but do I make anyone happy? Do I do things that would make people happy? And Most Importantly, should I do things that would make people happy? I had very few answers.

“Well, I replied, apart from a certain close few people, I don’t think I do things to make people happy. And, talking about those close people as well, I try to do things that I perceive would make them happy, but now that you ask me, I am not sure they are.”

The rest of the two hour long conversation seems pretty hazy now, though I must admit, there was a feel-good factor about it. But that question stuck, is it my duty/responsibility to make people around me happy? Is that also one of my sub-purposes in life? (if not “The Purpose”)

Her own take on this was simple.

Me: So, is ur purpose, to make people around you happy?
Her: Hmmmm…One can only be oneself, and with a few tweaks here and there, one must remain the same. And try your best to make close people happy, but most importantly, don’t expect that they would get happy. You be happy that you tried !

I smiled. Doesn’t this get linked to the same thing, the Heart versus the Brain Conflict? Brain says, its alrite, Heart says, at least you deserved something back.
Vicious Circle this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Shweetz, Dunno about others, but u sure keep me happy!!!Isn't that all that should matter??!!-CP