Thursday, March 13, 2008

A Long day...and an equally long post!

There is only one way I can describe myself currently.

Exhausted. Bone tired. Sleep hungry. And so on.

Alrite, that was more than one way. Happens all the time.

So, the sleep yesterday night, deserted me like Tendulkar usually does in the finals of major tournaments. And by the time, it did come to me, it was my turn to shoo it away. Time to wake up.

I have almost been out of touch with sitting through boring 90 minute lectures for almost three months now, and when I realised that today was going to be one of the two days, when I had sit through 8 hours of classroom training, my reaction was anything but pleasant. The training was quite a surprise though. While I cannot really say that the eight hours passed like a jiffy, they were certainly not boring, as one would have expected.

Full credit to the trainer - who incidentally will continue the same tomorrow - and to some of the wisecracks that all of us manage to find at the right time ensuring continuing smiles, giggles, laughters and even uproars sometime.

But by the time the class ended, it was a sense of relief to most of us, especially to me. Because that meant I could get one half of my submission done, and then rush away to a close friend's reception.

Now, this is a second marriage, in six months, of a close enough friend I have been to, wherein I have been the only person from that particular group of his/her. So, it has been quite a something to be sitting alone, observing (I shall avoid the use of the word 'checking out' because of the negative connotations associated with it) all the people in the party, for at least a couple of hours, and waiting for the white aproned guy with a snackky dish on him to understand that I aint no gate crasher, and offer me something. But it is some experience.

Today it could just have gone one step further. I had to get to the hotel directly from the college, and that meant that, not only my shoulders carried a laptop weighing more than 6 pounds, but also a gift that amassed another four. Now, with no disrespect to "who cares about the world" attitude, it just doesn't look too nice to wear a laptop bag - which looks no less than a trekking one - and get onto the stage and greet the couple. My personal opinion is that it is a strict no-no.

So the only other option I had was to keep the bag somewhere before I could meet the couple. And unfortunately, with a laptop inside it, nonbody - absolutely nobody - was ready to take any responsibility for it. Sigh. It was only after repeated assurances and pleadings that the bar tender looked at me in sympathy and said something to the effect of, "You owe me a drink for this one dood."

And I thought he was the barman.

This friend M, and me have been together since my days at Mastek. And the common thread that linked us together was our Java skills. Or the lack of them anyways. So our trainer, who was another M - lets name him an M2 - would ensure that we got our daily dose of lesson, both, in the literal and figurative sense of the word. I remember this one conversation with M2, that went like this. The words in the brackets are lines that were left unsaid by us.

M2: You know nothing of Java. (Why are you even alive. Or in this company anyways)

S: Sorry M2, you know my background was not exactly computers, so.... (and you smart assed trainer, why don't you meet me in the ring - a la Hayden ishhtyle - or better still on a cricket ground?)

M2: Are you married? (like I care, whether you are married or a piece of depressed s***)

S: No M2, obviously not. (You idiot, I am all of 21, just graduated, getting screwed by you and your Java, and you ask me personal questions. )

M2: Then why don't you stay in office for a longer time? (Didn't your mamma tell you that hard work only pays off in the long run)

S: But M2, I went home at 730 yesterday, and 8 on the day before that. (And unlike you, I have a life beyond this office.)

M2: I think I will have to make a time table for you.

S: Huh? (Next you will tell me you would want to feed me milk in a bottle. Who do you think you are, a railway master? Time bloody table)

M2: Yeah, you got me right. Time table. So, temme what time do you come to office generally? (ab bajaata hoon teri band)

S: 9.30 am. Just like everyone else. (I should have done my MBA. Or MS. Or probably even MBBS.)

M2: Yeah, so now listen me out. Come at 930, attend the entire training, and try to code yourself. Once people leave by 6, you can take your break (and say thanks for allowing you to take it), and then restart coding by 615, work till dinner time in office which is 830, revising what has been taught before.

S: Ok, and then leave for home? (Now, he will soon tell me to cross my hands and put fingers on my lips. I just told him I am 21, he seems to have forgotten the 2)

M2: You kidding? (I told you he acts like a kid sometimes. I really wish I had a bottle of milk that I would have thrust in his mouth). Post dinner, take up the exercise discussed and finish it off till before the gates of SEEPZ close - which happened at midnight then - and leave for home.

S:.................... (I am obliged towards you, you actually allowing me to go home that early. Thank you from the bottom of my heart)

M2: Yeah, and then next day, to revise all that, you can try coming to office a little earlier as well. (You better come early or else....)

S: Would 9 do? (I am not coming before noon, fuhhhget nine)

M2: I was thinking more on the lines of 7. But 730 should be fine.

S: (I really wish I was married, at least I would not have got to hear this)

M2: See, I dont think it is too difficult, I am married and I follow this schedule, why can't you?

S: (If only one murder was forgiven in this land, just one. Please.)

That was the end of that. A real life conversation. Luckily I didnt survive that training for a long time, before I was thrown into a project. And didnt meet M2 for another 2 years. M1 - the guy who got married today - has equally fond memories of M2, and hopefully would pen them down sometime.

But before I left the training, there was a mandatory 360 degree feedback session with him, in which I had to give him a feedback. That, was another story. Probably for some other time.

4 comments:

Pepper said...

That was one good conversation :D

Suneer said...

I have had some really beautiful conversations with the man apart from this. May just need to dedicate a blog for him :-)

Anonymous said...

heheheh! i was not readin it coz of the length.. now i do .. i m glad i did :))

leave at 12.. cme in at 7.. :-O

Suneer said...

yeah, but then, those were the days! as I look back, it was fun :-)