Saturday, June 09, 2007

Indian Idol

I am a convert. A definite one. It's taken me two years, but it is never too late I guess. Indian Idol has grown onto me like an unconventionally good looking girl does over a period of time. The same's happened with me, vis-a-vis Indian Idol.

I started watching after a friend jokingly asked me to. Challenged me to. Exorted me to.

There was no cricket on TV. I reasoned out, what the hell, if I could sit through Big Boss, why not Indian Idol. And the first episode that I viewed, the cynical side of me couldn't help itself. Criticism about how the hosts (basically the Production Team), waste time and create unnecessary suspense. Make technical mistakes in the process. And that completely overshadowed the glaring fact that the singers were good. More than good in the hindsight. Awesome would be a better word.

The next few episodes quickly saw me make that transition from being a critic to thoroughly enjoy the singing performances. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to have Anu Malik give his expert opinions so far, but apart from that, the three Judges have been reasonably sober. Udit Narayan does try to act cool some times. One such instance was when after a singer's performance, he stood up. People thought he would be on his marks to give the Singer a standing ovation, or probably a round of applause.

Our man, instead, gets up from his seat and looks at the singer. Pauses. And says, "Aapne kaafi achha gaaya."(You sung well). In true Udit Narayan style. Wonder whether he was exercising his bored limbs. But I think it only adds to the overall fun. And it surely is fun.

With the obvious seriousness related to any competition. The joys and sorrows, the agonies and the ecstasies, and the other vagaries for the participants. Some have already packed their bags and gone home, some are front runners to take 'Trophy' home.

Lastly, hats off to the mental toughness exhibited by one of the participants, Ankita, who lost out, but still managed to keep a brave, smiling face, and actually sang like she's just won, and not lost. Need more of them around.

1 comment:

Suneer said...

Deepshi: U must thank Almighty that I did not post something on Big Boss, and on Rakhee Sawant, for whom I would spend 9 bucks each week(that's 3 votes per week)...!!

As far as Indian Idol is concerned, u must watch it, in fact next time dekh ke fone pe discuss karte hain, alrite?